Powerhouse singer and civil rights activist Mavis Staples will headline a concert to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the integration of Little Rock Central High School. From the Delta-inflected gospel sound she helped create in the 1950s with her father, Pops, and her brother and sisters as The Staple Singers, to the freedom songs of the Civil Rights era, to pop radio stardom during the Stax era with hits “I’ll Take You There” and “Respect Yourself,” one constant has been Mavis and her singular voice.
- Robinson Performance Hall
- Sept 23, 2017
- Concert begins 7 p.m.
- Tickets $45 – $65
- Tickets available for purchase at Ticketmaster.com or in person at the Celebrity Attractions Box Office located inside the Robinson Center.
- Concert will feature a Multicultural Community Choir. Limited choir openings for Little Rock area residents. See details here.
- FOX 16’s Donna Terrell will emcee the event
- Proceeds from the concert will benefit the nonprofit Little Rock Nine Foundation. The mission of the Little Rock Nine® Foundation is to provide direct financial support and a mentorship program for students to help them reach their educational goals.
- Commemoration Partners: The City of Little Rock, Little Rock School District, National Park Service, Little Rock Convention and Visitors Bureau and other local organizations